[Freeipa-devel] User Certificates in 4.2 - design and questions

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue May 5 06:38:28 UTC 2015

On 05/04/2015 09:23 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-05-04 at 16:41 +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:

>>> If the DN or other searchable attributes bear a principal name,
>>> existing APIs should be sufficient (if a little awkward).  But
>>> Dogtag does not know about principals, it only knows what is on the
>>> cert (and a few other things, like the profile that was used).
>>
>> Kerberos principal SAN is added when the certificate is requested via
>> Certmonger, but we do not add it when requested via cert-request command (yet).
>> So we cannot depend on it.
>>
>>> Later, when we implement GSSAPI and ACL enforcement in Dogtag
>>> (https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5011) we can also store the
>>> principal that issued the certificate for a concrete association in
>>> Dogtag, which can be used to locate certificates for a principal.
>>
>> Right, sounds as something we should do. I commented in the ticket.
>>
>>> Considering known use cases in which one would not want to store the
>>> issued cert in IPA, some of these have short lived certs so
>>> revocation is not an issue.  With that in mind I think it would be
>>> OK, for 4.2 at least, to not provide a way in IPA to revoke a cert
>>> that was issued via IPA but not stored; it can still be revoked
>>> using Dogtag directly, and we could provide pointers to Dogtag
>>> documentation.  The important thing is to manage the user
>>> expectations for 4.2.
>>
>> Hm, maybe - Simo, if you disagree, please shout. In this case, we would need to
>> make sure this side effect of the userCertificate policy is very well documented.
>
> I do not disagree, in most cases when a user (or computer object) is
> deleted, there is really no need to actually revoke the cert.
> Keep in mind that revocation list growth is also a concern.

Right. IIRC some of our users had problems with CRL list size also, making us
to create ticket

> So I am fine *not* revoking certs automatically and instead documenting
> best practices for certs lifecycle management (ie deleting certs when
> not useful) and how to manually/explicitly revoke certs only when
> actually compromised (for hosts), or when needed (user leaves
> organization and may retain a copy of the private key, unlikly when the
> cert was in a Smart Card which has been returned and wiped).

Well, makes sense to me. I added a section to the design:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/User_Certificates#Revocation_of_the_Certificates

We just need to be cautious here because this would be a change in behavior
compared to FreeIPA 4.1 and older. Should this be another global/per-profile
policy setting that administrator could set up?