[Freeipa-devel] Domain Level feature kick-off

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed May 6 07:29:31 UTC 2015

Hello,

as already discussed in December [1], we will need to implement domain levels
in FreeIPA 4.2 to make sure we can manage the replication agreement by Topology
plugin.

I created a ticket for this feature [3] and linked it with Simo's design. The
proposed scope for the feature is written in the ticket itself. Tomas agreed he
would work on this.

The first consumer is Ludwig's topology plugin. Seeing Ludwig's initial patches
[4], I suspect he chose a different format (major/minor) for the domain level
value, but as we discussed in [2], it will rather be a numerical value, raised
only when needed. This is something for Tomas and Ludwig to coordinate together.

I am not sure if Custodia work will need this, maybe the new
ipa-replica-install would just check if Custodia is there or not and not decide
on Domain Levels... we will see.

The design page does not list the actual API, but I expect it to be very simple
for now, maybe just

$ ipa domainlevel-show
$ ipa domainlevel-raise NUMBER

Makes sense?

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2014-December/msg00199.html
[2] http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2014-December/msg00221.html
[3] https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5018
[4] http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2015-April/msg00096.html

--
Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team