[Freeipa-devel] Domain Level feature kick-off

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Mon May 11 13:56:16 UTC 2015

On 05/11/2015 03:50 PM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
> Dne 11.5.2015 v 15:34 Martin Kosek napsal(a):

>>> I would think
>>>
>>> $ ipa domain-show
>>> $ ipa domain-set-level NUMBER
>>>
>>> because "domain level" does not sound like an object, but rather a "level"
>>> property of a "domain" object.
>>
>> I think the point here was that the Domain Level is a separate LDAP object with
>> just that value. So the naming seemed pretty self-explanatory and consistent
>> to me.
>
> That seems to me like an implementation detail rather than something against
> which to model the API. (Come on, singleton object with a single property?)

IIRC, that was the point. To have this value in a single LDAP object without
other settings, so that components can simply "watch" this object or have
syncrepl on it, without receiving false positives (as they would have with for
example "config-*" object).

>> With using just "domain-*" we are blocking ourselves for the time when real
>> "Domain" object shows up.
>
> I don't see why it should.
>
> Anyway, I don't have a strong opinion on this, except I like "set" better than
> "raise".

I liked the raise more as it does not give people the hopes that domain level
can be lowered once it was raised :-)