[Freeipa-devel] [QE] Place for test data

Milan Kubik mkubik at redhat.com
Thu May 14 13:19:49 UTC 2015

Hi list,

while drafting the test cases I have realized I don't know
how to approach $SUBJ. Is there any agreed on place
or 'best practices' for the data that is needed for the testing?
What I need for the test is to have a text file/s and pass
them as arguments to the command.
It is not feasible to have the data with the test source code
in one file.

One possible scenario is:

./test_abc.py
./data/test_abc_xyz_1.txt
./data/test_abc_xyz_2.xml
etc. (emphasis on directory)

or a place dedicated for data of all of the tests such as:
ipatests/test_xmlrpc/test_abc.py
ipatests/data/some/path/to/data.txt

or droping the data files along the test source.

For me the first option looks more sane (less maintenance.
separated from the code, though).

A note from mkosek:
mkosek at balmora [ ~/freeipa ]$ find -type d -name "data"
./install/ui/test/data
./ipatests/test_ipaserver/data

OTOH, test_pkcs10 has its CSRs in the directory with the test,
test_install is similar to pkcs10.

Can I get your thoughts on this, please?

Thanks,
Milan