[Freeipa-devel] Revoking user/service/host certificates

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Mon May 18 13:36:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:51:41AM +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:
> Hi Fraser (and list),
>
> Recently, we have proposed 2 new policies for treating user/host/service
> certificates based on the per-profile policy:
>
> a) If certificate is stored in userCertificate attribute
> b) If the certificate is stored and object deleted/disabled, if the certificate
> should be also revoked
>
> Details in:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/User_Certificates#Configuration
>
> a) is straightforward. However, I was not thinking more about case b). When
> object is deleted/disabled, how will framework tell what is the profile to
> check the policy?
>
> Will it ask Dogtag via some API call? Or will the profile me stored in the
> certificate itself, just like MS CA does for some certificates?

That information is stored in Dogtag, but I don't think there's
currently a straightforward way to get at it.  Having it stored in
Dogtag (only) would necessitate first contacting Dogtag and looking
up the profile for each certificate to find out whether we should
revoke or not.

I do not think we should implement anything that relies on the MS
"certificate template" extension (in case it is not wanted, or even
causes problems for some application).

But let us take a step back - is there a situation where for one
profile (for which ipaCertProfileStoreIssued == True) we would want
to automatically revoke when principal deleted, and for another
profile not revoke?  Or would it be better as a global setting or a
{user,host,service}-del option?

We would also need to work out a revocationReason; we could use
"unspecified" to start with, but can we / should be provide
something richer?

Cheers,
Fraser