[Freeipa-devel] KDC proxy implementation specs

Christian Heimes cheimes at redhat.com
Thu May 28 15:00:21 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-28 16:53, Simo Sorce wrote:
> We can't have 2 different keytabs with the same principal name.
> If we need privilege separation we'll have to work on integrating
> GSS-Proxy and give the keytab only to GSS-Proxy leaving it off the hands
> of both the framework, the proxy, and apache itself.

I had a different principal like KDCPROXY/fqdn at realm in mind.

> Although to be honest I do not see why the proxy need access to the
> keytab at all, can we simply run it as a wsgi application under a
> different user and prevent it from accessing the apache keytab at all ?

Yes, mod_wsgi is able to run a WSGI app as a different user:

https://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationDirectives#WSGIDaemonProcess

A different user needs another location for the ccache and perhaps
additional SELinux rules.

> What do we need the keytab for ?
> Is it just in order to authenticate and read if the service is enabled ?
> Can we make that information available anonymously ?

Yes, the information is not available for anon bind. It doesn't feel
right to disclose the settings to the public.

Christian