[Freeipa-devel] terminology: "main/primary/? DNS domain" for FreeIPA

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 18:55:50 UTC 2015

On 08/10/15 09:34, Petr Spacek wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm in process of reviewing and fixing some of our docs and it seems that we
> do not have established term for The Domain user specified during
> ipa-server-install.
>
> Term "DNS domain" is not specific enough because FreeIPA can manage multiple
> DNS domains but only one of them contains SRV records. Term "IdM domain"
> sounds too vague for the same reasons.

We should make it easy to publish SRV records on any domain, if a client
is in a different DNS domain it should still be able to discover the IPA
servers.

> What about "primary DNS domain"? Or "primary IdM domain"?

What's "primary" about it ? The fact that the Realm is named after it ?
I guess that could work, but it wouldn't necessarily be accurate if you
decide to move tto use poredominantly another different DNS domain
during the lifetime of an install.

> What term is used in AD world? My google-fu is weak on this.

There is no such term because, mostly, in the AD world there is only one
DNS domain that matters, the one that corresponds 1-1 to the Realm name.
So there is only The AD Domain Name.

> Ideas are more than welcome!

I guess primary is ok, I draw a blank on what else could be used right now.