[Freeipa-devel] Freeipa domain levels naming

Tomas Babej tbabej at redhat.com
Fri Oct 23 07:31:02 UTC 2015

On 10/22/2015 05:49 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On 22/10/15 11:29, Martin Basti wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> in current master branch we have mixed usage of literals 0, 1 and
>> constants MIN_DOMAIN_LEVEL, MAX_DOMAIN_LEVEL, and it is quite mess.
>>
>> I suggest to use names for domain levels:
>>
>> COMPAT_DOMAIN_LEVEL = 0
>> PROMOTION_DOMAIN_LEVEL = 1
>> UBER_NEW_FEATURE_DOMAIN_LEVEL = 2
>>
>> MIN_DOMAIN_LEVEL = COMPAT_DOMAIN_LEVEL (=0)
>> MAX_DOMAIN_LEVEL = UBER_NEW_FEATURE_DOMAIN_LEVEL (=2)
>>
>> Benefits:
>> * ability to grep it in code
>
> Call them DOMAIN_LEVEL_0 and DOMAIN_LEVEL_1
>
>> * better readability in code
>
> Sure, but random names are not appropriate imo

I'm with you guys on this, it's a good idea. Let's go with the
DOMAIN_LEVEL_X naming though, it will be probably easier to remember.

One thing to add to the discussion - MIN/MAX_DOMAIN_LEVEL denotes only
the minimal/maximal domain level supported by the given IPA server, not
the minimal/maximal domain level ever shipped by FreeIPA project.

Currently, those two coincide, but in general they might be different if
we ever raise the minimal level a decide to deprecate, say, domain level
0 or 1. It's a subtle but important difference.

Tomas