[Freeipa-devel] Linking tickets in the commit messages

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 11:53:32 UTC 2015

On 09/17/2015 01:47 PM, Tomas Babej wrote:
> Hi fellow developers,
>
> more or less we tend to stick to the tradition of linking Trac tickets
> to the commit messages of the patches we send to the list.
>
> However, every now and then, a patch lands on the list, which is either
> linked to a BZ or does not contain any link at all. Admittedly, I am
> also guilty of this mishap. This poses certain problems, as we're trying
> to automate the bookkeeping and pushing-related processes with ipatool [1].
>
> Nevertheless, this useful habit is not formally agreed upon by
> developers nor documented in our wiki [2]. I'd suggest we add it there,
> if we come to such consensus.
>
> This would mean:
> * Patches fixing an issue described only in BZ (rare issue) would need
> to create a Trac ticket referencing the BZ

+1

> * Patches fixing an issue not tracked in Trac nor BZ would need to file
> a ticket in Trac and reference it

I am not sure we are there yet. For typos and small fixes, I do not think we
need to create a hard requirement for a Trac ticket. But for patches that you
want to be considered for say backports to downstream releases, it is better to
have the ticket with the right metadata and collection of the right hashes that
the downstream release can digest.