[Freeipa-devel] Travis CI broke after merging PR 177

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 12:07:26 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 09:41:40AM +0100, Martin Babinsky wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/177 was recently merged despite
> causing nearly half of the tests in our Travis CI gating to fail. This broke
> Travis CI for all other PR that were rebased after this merge, causing false
> negative errors everywhere.
>
> Fraser reverted the offending commits in
> https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/329 which restored Travis to
> original state (never mind PEP8 errors they were in the original code
> already).
>
> Regarding this issues I have two questions:
>
> a)
>
> should I merge https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/329 and thus revert
> the breakage in order to unblock other contributors? Given the current
> traffic I think it is sufficient to wait for us to investigate and produce a
> fix. If not, please scream loudly.

Definitely not, I am using this PR as a playground to poke the CI in
various ways.  Also, proper fix would be best :)  See also my other
mail (I would have replied here but fetchmail was not fetching mail
and I missed it until just now >_<).

> b)
>
> what can we improve to make the results of CI more visible to contributors?
> I think that I should sit down with Martin 2 and investigate the possibility
> to send notifications about negative CI results (sufficient IMO) to the
> mailing list.

Or the commit author.

It would be *great* if the test job, in event of failure, would
collect all the obvious logs and dump them somewhere as artifacts.