[Freeipa-devel] [REVIEW] Intial stab towards Authentication Indicators

Nathaniel McCallum npmccallum at redhat.com
Fri Feb 26 20:44:02 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 11:20 -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-02-26 at 10:24 -0500, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> > I was thinking:
> > 1. Bind as the entity validating the 2nd factor.
> > 2. Extop which takes the:
> >    * user dn
> >    * type of 2nd factor
> >    * validation data
> >    * dn of 2nd factor (optional)
> >
> > This provides an audit trail of who is validating 2nd factors.
> Ok, this makes sense.
> I wish we didn't have to create yet another extop, but if we want to
> gate the check via another bind it makes sense.

I wish we had done this the first time. However, this really only makes
complete sense in a post-SPAKE world.

I actually think we should have a different extop for each 2F type.
Each 2F type can define its own interface (and possibly more than one
round-trip; such as token sync).

> > > LDAP binds still need to test both factors if they are required
> > We would grandfather OTP. But all new 2FA would require GSSAPI
> > (using
> > AIs) to use LDAP.
> I do not think we can enforce this, we still have a lot of
> deployments
> that rely on LDAP binds to check credentials, and we should try to
> support this as much as possible.

Consider the case of U2F. I don't think we can ever support LDAP simple
bind with U2F. And I think U2F will be supported long before anything
else.

> > > Not if the user has optional 2FA and you want to enforce the
> > > second
> > > factor only for certain operations from the framework (like say
> > > changing
> > > passwords or other more privileged operations).
> > Why can't we just use GSSAPI with AIs?
> We would! But the AI check would be done (optionally) for the LDAP
> server, not the HTTP service, remember that we do s4u2proxy and use
> GSSAPI auth from the framework.

I'm missing something here.