[Freeipa-devel] certmonger everywhere

Jan Cholasta jcholast at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 06:49:15 UTC 2016

On 6.1.2016 15:56, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Jan Cholasta wrote:
>> On 4.1.2016 19:57, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>>> I guess this would work but I think you'd have quite a difficult time
>>> returning usable error messages to a user (and they are pretty bad now
>>> in cert-request).
>>
>> I don't see why, error messages can be easily passed between all the
>> involved interfaces.
>
> The current messages aren't great but at least with some amount of
> google-fu one can discover what the current ones mean. The certmonger
> messages tend to be just "can't talk to http://...:9180/... and a
> semi-documented status code.

I agree bad error messages should be improved, but that's completely
orthogonal to my proposal.

>>> I assume that a CSR can be seeded into the certmonger request process
>>> but I've never tried it myself. Do you know if it works?
>>>
>>> I really wonder how the case of delayed issuance would be handled. Would
>>> you leave the server-side certmonger request to idle until the second
>>> step was handled? Wouldn't this have the potential to have an
>>> unmanageable number of certmonger requests? It gets confusing enough for
>>> users for the 8 typical tracked certs, what about hundreds?
>>
>> See step 8: there won't be any new certmonger requests, everything will
>> be forwarded directly to the proper certmonger CA helper using a new
>> D-Bus call.
>
> Ok, I read it as creating a request via the D-Bus call. Makes me wonder
> what this means for masters that don't run CA.

I don't think there are any behavior changes needed for masters without CA.

>>> If you want to eventually use the requestors credentials won't this
>>> require a pretty big change in certmonger to be able to use passed-in
>>> credentials?
>>
>> Yes, I guess. However, we can use the current Dogtag backed for our CA
>> and certmonger for other CAs until that is implemented.
>>
>>> How will those work in the two-step case?
>>
>> What do you mean?
>
> This question was based on my misunderstanding how certmonger would be
> called via D-Bus. You'd have had to correlate a status request with an
> existing certmonger request in some way, but since you aren't creating
> one it's a no-op.

Right.

> I think this is interesting in theory but I fear it is going to make a
> complex process even more complex.

It will add some complexity wrt credential forwarding to certmonger, but
besides that, it should actually reduce complexity - the goal of this is
to maximize code reuse, to the point where there is only *one* code path
for requesting certificates.

> It does raise the interesting possibility of removing the need to store
> the RA credentials in the Apache NSS database and to me that is the
> bigger win.

This will be done one way or another, see
<https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5011>.

--
Jan Cholasta