[Freeipa-devel] [Design Review Request] V4/Automatic_Certificate_Request_Generation

Ben Lipton blipton at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 14:51:09 UTC 2016

On 07/25/2016 05:07 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-07-25 at 10:50 +0200, Jan Cholasta wrote:
>> Anyway, my main grudge is that the transformation rules shouldn't
>> really
>> be stored on and processed by the server. The server should know the
>> *what* (mapping rules), but not the *how* (transformation rules). The
>> *how* is an implementation detail and does not change in time, so
>> there's no benefit in handling it on the server. It should be handled
>> exclusively on the client, which I believe would also make the whole
>> thing more robust (it would not be possible for a bug on the server
>> break all the clients).
> W/o entering in specific +1 as a general comment on this.
> If it can be done on the client, probably better be done there.
>
> Simo.

My thinking was that while the CSR generation must be done on the
client, the retrieval and formatting of the data for the CSR should be
done on the server, so that the functionality is available to all
consumers of the API (ipa command-line, certmonger, Web UI, something
else?). I imagine it would be relatively easy to move the formatting
stuff into the ipa CLI, but all the other clients would then need an
implementation of their own, and so we'd need to worry about
interpreting the templates and generating CSRs in multiple different
languages. It's true that as it stands a bug on the server could break
all the clients, but on the other hand there's only one implementation
to maintain, rather than a different one in each client.

But maybe I'm not seeing the proper priorities here. Perhaps it's more
of a problem because clients are easier to update with bugfixes than the
server? Or maybe the preference for the client is for scalability
reasons? Could you tell me more about why you prefer a client
implementation?

(And yeah, everything here carries a disclaimer of "I probably can't
make any large changes in the remaining 3 weeks of my internship," but I
think it's still good to know and document what the limitations of the
current implementation are.)

Thanks,
Ben