[Freeipa-devel] host-del & client uninstall: additional discussion related to DNS needed

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Thu Mar 3 16:36:32 UTC 2016

On 03/03/2016 03:52 PM, Martin Basti wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> related tickets:
>
> I'm trying to implement both tickets, but I don't like the way we
> decided on devel meeting anymore.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5676#comment:1
>
> 1)
> ipa host-del --updatedns
>
> I propose to only delete A, AAAA and related PTR records (SSHFP records
> explained later). The record are somehow managed by IPA
>
> I don't like the idea of having an extra option to specify record types
> that should be removed or a flag that will remove DNS entry completely.
> IMO that is duplication of dnsrecord-mod/del functionality, host-del
> should not be used for managing DNS. If somebody wants better
> granularity, the one should use 'dnsrecord-mod zone rec --type-rec=' or
> 'dnsrecord-del --del-all'

AFAIK the proposal on devel meeting was:

--update-dns will delete A, AAAA, SSHFP
--update-dns=all will delete the whole DNS record LDAP entry

there was also a proposal for granularity, e.g., --update-dns=a,aaaa.

Then it was agreed that --update-dns won't search for SRV records (not
mentioned here, so OK).

PTR records weren't discussed or decision was not recorded.

The proposal above keeps backwards compatibility though it may not be
possible to do with current framework. Or do we have support for
multivalued enum with default value(s) which acts as a flag?

If the new option type is too complicated to introduce, then I would
prefer to keep current option(flag) with behavior matching proposal for
--update-dns or --update-dns=all.

Definitely big +1 on not introducing a new option.

No need to over-engineer it.

Not sure about PTR records.

> Note: due backward compatibility --updatedns cannot be migrated to ENUM,
> new option needed

> 2)
> SSHFP records and host-del (https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5715)
>
> host-del removes SSH keys from LDAP, thus there is no reason to keep
> SSHFP record in DNS, thus SSHFP records should be removed always (even
> without --updatedns option)

ACK

> 3)
> ipa-client-install --uninstall
>
> SSHFP record are always added via nsupdate to DNS, IMO during client
> uninstall all SSHFP record related to client should be removed via
> nsupdate too.

IMHO not necessary will be solved either by #5676 and/or #5715(currently
uninstall indirectly calls ipa-host-disable)

> 4)
>
> ipa-client-install --uninstall --delete-host    #suggestions how to name
> option for removing host entry for ldap welcome
>
> Should this option call 'host-del' or 'host-del --updatedns'?
>
> I would like to avoid additional DNS related option to be added to
> ipa-client-install
>
> Also do we really want to implement this ticket? What is the gain there?

The devel discussions which is recorded in
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5676#comment:1

Suggests to change default behavior in ipa-client-install --uninstall so
that it will call:

`ipa host-del --update-dns` instead of `ipa-join --unenroll`. So it will
also do #3.

Further proposal in #5676 is to introduce a new option(--keephost ??) to
keep the host records, i.e., the old behavior.

But comment:
"""
simo: maybe keeping backward compatibility is more important, discuss
later if --remove option would be better
"""
suggest that further discussion is needed

--
Petr Vobornik