[Freeipa-devel] Feature template - proposed changes

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 14:11:39 UTC 2016

Hello,

I've updated Feature template to make sure that important the design decisions
are recorded somewhere.

Of course all this is open for discussion. I did this soon because I believe
that it is better to actually see how it looks like instead of discussing
vaporware. Wiki has revert button if necessary, feel free to use it.

New texts:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Feature_template#Design_Assumptions
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Feature_template#Use_Cases

I also did one unrelated change:
Now "Feature Management" chapter precedes "Design" chapter with all the gory
details. This should make the page more useful for random users who find it
using a search engine.

Intents:
1. Consider usability *very* early in the design process.
2. Think about LDAP schema support for UI workflows very early.

DNS locations proved that UI is a nightmare which is better to think about in
the very beginning, even before thinking about LDAP schema.

I hope it will help in long term.

--
Petr^2 Spacek