[Freeipa-devel] server_del (re)implementation in domain level 1 topology management

Martin Babinsky mbabinsk at redhat.com
Thu Mar 17 13:39:06 UTC 2016

Hi list,

I would like to discuss the merge of `del_master_managed()` function
from `ipa-replica-manage` command into the server_del API call that is a
part of the managed replication topology design update[1] (see also the
corresponding upstream ticket [2]).

Before I head down into coding I want to be sure that everyone is one
the same page regarding the expected use-cases which govern the API design.

IIUC, there are two main uses of the new functionality according to
design document:

1.) run 'server_del' when 'ipa-replica-manage del' is run in domain-level 1

2.) during 'ipa-server-install --uninstall', 'server_del' should be
called on one of remote masters to remove the uninstalled server from
the managed topology

What I didn't get from the design document is whether the method should
have some kind of 'force' option which should bypass all topology
connectivity checks. Currently both `ipa-replica-manage del` and server
uninstaller have options which will force the removal even if it
disconnects the topology ('--force' in the former,
'--ignore-disconnected-topology' in the latter).

I guess the 'server_del' method should inherit this flag so that we
retain the original functionality (for better or worse). I propose to
name this option 'ignore_topology_disconnect' because it is more
descriptive than plain 'force'.

I would also like to ask whether 'server_del' (which is currently
NO_CLI) should be usable also from command line.

[1] http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Manage_replication_topology_4_4
[2] https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5588

--
Martin^3 Babinsky