[Freeipa-devel] Provisioning throughput

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Thu May 12 13:45:11 UTC 2016

On 05/12/2016 02:16 PM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> On 05/10/2016 05:50 PM, thierry bordaz wrote:

>>> Hi Thierry,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the analysis. Very nice.
>>>
>>> Knowing this will help us suggesting workarounds also for old releases.
>>>
>>> Couple questions:
>>>
>>> Have you tested retrCL disabled with memberOf enabled. It seems that it
>>> would eliminate 550K adds and 0.8M searches. What would be the time
>>> improvement?
>>>
>>> Do you know what is the time when memberof is enabled but slapi-nis and
>>> retroCL are disabled?
>> The culprit of the performance issue is very likely related to SRCH
>> (internal) triggered by memberof.
>>
>> If retroCL is disabled and memberof enabled, #SRCH is 13.8M.
>> If retroCL is disabled, slapi-nis disabled and memberof enabled #SRCH is
>> 14.8
>> When all of them are enabled the #SRCH is 15M.
>>
>> You are right if retroCL is disabled the #ADD drops but it has no
>> significant effect on the duration.
> ok, thanks for the analysis
>
>> Regarding the duration of the provisioning, values are not really stable
>> as performance of VM fluctuates. But as soon as memberof is enabled the
>> provisioning lasts > 4hours where the same provisioning lasts 6mins as
>> soon as memberof is disabled.
>>
>> I need to confirm the average time for internal searches but assuming
>> 1ms per SRCH it consumes >90% of the provisioning.
>>

>>>   From the text it was not clear to me, if you find or investigate
>>> possible improvements in memberof plugin which would improve the
>>> performance without stopping and starting DS.
> As was discussed at mtg, have you tried if the DS restart is really
> necessary?
memberof plugin can be enabled and disabled while the server is running, BUT
to achieve this the "enable-dynamic-plugins" feature has to be turned
on. And then any enable/disable of a plugin would try to do it
dynamically an dnot wait for the restart.
And I think not all plugins are able to handle this, TomasB was once
working on it for IPA plugins, but it was not completed as far as I know

> And if it is required, what would be needed to not require restart.
>
> The workaround should be easy to use.

Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael O'Neill