[Freeipa-devel] Reviving FreeIPA translations

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sat May 14 11:29:15 UTC 2016

написане Sat, 14 May 2016 12:57:13 +0300, Jérôme Fenal <jfenal at gmail.com>:

>> Hello,
>>
>> As you may or may not know, Tomas Babej left the FreeIPA team as a Red
>> Hat
>> employee, which of course does not mean he cannot contribute to the
>> FreeIPA
>> project, but that he won't have as much time for contributions as
>> previously.
>>
>> One of Tomas' responsibilities was taking care of FreeIPA translations
>> (Translation Maintainer role). As far as I know, there 2 main tasks
>> associated
>> with the Translation Maintainer role:
>>
>> 1) Periodically uploading new upstream strings to the FreeIPA
>> translation
>> platform of choice, which is the Fedora Zanata instance:
>> https://fedora.zanata.org/project/view/freeipa
>> The upload should happen periodically, on the right occasions, so that
>> the
>> translators (especially the French and Ukrainian translations which have
>> 100%
>> translated) have sufficient time to translate strings for the next
>> version
>> and
>> do not have to translate it all in couple days before release. (This was
>> one of
>> the feedback I heard recently).
>>
>> 2) Downloading translated strings, Tomas added a short HowTo to our
>> Release page:
>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Release#Translations
>>
>> We will need a new volunteer who would help doing 1) and 2) for the
>> planned
>> releases and making sure this process runs. The first task would be
>> uploading
>> current strings in master as the next release is FreeIPA 4.4 planned for
>> June,
>> so it may be nice to already upload new strings we have in FreeIPA
>> already
>> Zanata, so that they can be translated in sufficient time.
>>
>> Volunteer(s)?
>>
>> As part of the learning process, I think it would be useful to do more
>> documentation of the steps taken in every translation life-cycle,
>> current
>> HowTo
>> in Release page is rather vague. I for example did not find information
>> how to
>> work with translation versions that I saw defined in Zanata (branching
>> may
>> work
>> similarly as in current FreeIPA git).
>

> ​Thanks to the two volunteers​!
>
> Looking forward to see this happen!
>
> To reiterate on Martin K. message on uploads, I'd really like to see
> regular strings uploads to the master branch in Zanata, say once a week
> or
> every two weeks, so that translators can work on smaller strings batches.
> "Release early, release oftem" :)
>
> And strings that would be translated twice in a short time span wouldn't
> be
> [...]

Hi,

Similar thoughts here.

Just a note on branches, I think that it is worth to keep the translation
just for the current release because keeping several branches on Zanata
(or any other translation platform) is proved to be not effective from
both sides, developers and translators.

It is a matter of just two commands (one for extraction and "zanata push"
for pushing the catalog to Zanata). So, personally, I'd like to see the
updates as soon as possible (something close to continuous integration).
This allows us, translators, to react on any glitches in the initial
strings and make the releases perfect.

It would be good if each release preparation process is close to the
libguestfs's one:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-hacking.1.html#making-a-stable-release

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,