[Freeipa-devel] Reviving FreeIPA translations

Jérôme Fenal jfenal at gmail.com
Sun May 15 19:04:53 UTC 2016

> On 05/14/2016 01:29 PM, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> > написане Sat, 14 May 2016 12:57:13 +0300, Jérôme Fenal <jfenal at gmail.com
> >:

> Hat
> FreeIPA

> translation
> the
> have
> version
> was

> planned
> for
> already

> current
> may
> >>

> >> ​Thanks to the two volunteers​!
> >>
> >> Looking forward to see this happen!
> >>
> >> To reiterate on Martin K. message on uploads, I'd really like to see
> >> regular strings uploads to the master branch in Zanata, say once a week
> or
> >> every two weeks, so that translators can work on smaller strings
> batches.
> >> "Release early, release oftem" :)
> >>
> >> And strings that would be translated twice in a short time span
> wouldn't be
> >> entirely lost because they may stay in the Zanata translation memory and
> >> could help translators finalizing dot releases if the specific branches
> in
> >> Zanata.
> >>
> >> ​And if ​we can see the upload to master soon, translators can start
> >> working now before the branch for the 4.4 June release.
> >>
> >> ​Regards,
> >>
> >> J.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Similar thoughts here.
>
> Thanks for feedback!
>
> > Just a note on branches, I think that it is worth to keep the
> translation just
> > for the current release because keeping several branches on Zanata (or
> any
> > other translation platform) is proved to be not effective from both
> sides,
> > developers and translators.
>
> I see. My expectation would be that these branches would be only used if
> there
> is a bug in the translation, not for active translation. The thing is,
> strings
> in master may change or may be deleted, so they may no longer be applied
> to the
> branched FreeIPA x.y.z releases. So practically, we would not be able to
> update
> the translations for branched release once we branch.
>
> Do you see that expected and acceptable?

​Fine by me.​
​Maybe we could add a note to the wiki that older branches present in
Zanata shouldn't be actively translated, and present only for bugfixing.​

> > It is a matter of just two commands (one for extraction and "zanata
> push" for
> > pushing the catalog to Zanata). So, personally, I'd like to see the
> updates as
> > soon as possible (something close to continuous integration). This
> allows us,
> > translators, to react on any glitches in the initial strings and make the
> > releases perfect.
>
> I think this can be done, there is just the risk that some strings would be
> added during master development and changed later when the code is
> revisited,
> but I assume this is expected by you - correct?

​It is indeed.​ And desirable.
The closer we can be from development, the better it is for quality as Yuri
explained it: translators do read the English source strings ;).

> > It would be good if each release preparation process is close to the
> > libguestfs's one:
> >
> > http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-hacking.1.html#making-a-stable-release
> >
> > Just my 2 cents.
>
> Thanks for the tip!