[Freeipa-devel] Questions on git

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Mon May 23 14:33:29 UTC 2016

On 23.05.2016 16:24, Florence Blanc-Renaud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as I am ramping up with git, I have a few questions. Let's imagine the
> following development workflow:
>
> - I start working on a specific issue and decide to create a branch on
> my git repository (on my laptop)
> git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/freeipa.git
> git branch -b issue
> - When my code looks ok, I decide to commit on the branch (still on my
> ldaptop)
> git add <file>
> git commit

I found handy also 'git add -p' which allows you to choose what commit

> - Now I would like to push this on my development VM (I already cloned
> the repos on the VM). What would be the right command to push only the
> branch "issue" to my VM repo? Does the following command push only the
> current branch?
> git push --repo=ssh://frenaud@<VM IP@>:/path/to/src/freeipa

Could work, I usually just rsync the whole folder to VM

> - When the tests are ok and I want to submit a patch, can I stay on
> the branch "issue" to create the patch or should I merge first with
> the main branch? If a merge is required, is it recommended to pull
> then merge or merge then pull?

You can stay on your issue branch, but patch should be rebased to
current master (patch should apply on top of master)

something like:

git checkout master
git pull
git check issue
git rebase master issue

or interactive rebase if you want change order of patches or something
git rebase -i master issue

> Thanks for your tips,
> Flo.
> --