[Freeipa-devel] Questions on git

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Wed May 25 11:34:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:17:18PM +0200, Christian Heimes wrote:

> I don't know why github either forces merge commits or a single squashed
> commit. If I would have to guess, I would assume it has philosophical
> reasons. It took many years to get github to add an alternative to merge

The reason I was given when discussing it with a GitHub person was
that it's a performance issue. They are worried that people would use
it for multi-hundred-commit branches and the WebUI would not be able
to provide the same fast response as for single diff/commit.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Senior Principal Software Engineer, Identity Management Engineering, Red Hat