[Freeipa-devel] Build system refactoring - design document

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 07:45:02 UTC 2016

On ti, 11 loka 2016, Petr Spacek wrote:
>On 11.10.2016 09:00, Jan Cholasta wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 7.10.2016 11:56, Petr Spacek wrote:
>>> Dear FreeIPA developers and packagers,
>>>
>>> you can find first version of the Build system refactoring design document on:
>>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Build_system_refactoring
>>>
>>> If you do not care about implementation details, please be so kind and quickly
>>> scan through chapter
>>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Build_system_refactoring#Feature_Management
>>>
>>> I'm not an FreeIPA packager so I might miss some important thing which needs
>>> to be configurable.
>>
>> 1) There should be a --with-python switch to select the version of Python to
>> use in our command line tools and/or during build. The default would be
>> "python", i.e. the default Python interpreter found in the path.
>
>Okay. Can we pick some descriptive name?
>
>--with-default-python
>or
>--with-<something-else>-python?
>
>I think that it would be confusing if we had just
>--with-python
>--with-python2
>--with-python3
--with-python=/path/to/python.binary is enough. We have the same in
Samba where a secondary build against another python interpreter is
regulated with '--extra-python' pointing to the Python's executable.

>Besides that, I would make --with-default-python to accept either "2" or "3"
>(and thus use path specified by --with-python? option).
I don't think we need --with-default-python=2|3 at all. Once you have a
Python binary, you can discover the flavor in the code:
$ python -c 'import sys; print sys.version_info.major'
2

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy