[Freeipa-devel] Feature branches for sub-team efforts

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 13:50:50 UTC 2016

On ti, 11 loka 2016, Petr Vobornik wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>we discussed locally a proposal about creating a feature branch for each
>sub-team effort in our main git. Currently it would be for the 4 ongoing
>refactoring efforts + Simo's work
>
>Why?
>It will allow each developer to create a pull request against the
>feature branch and thus it will enable iterative development by multiple
>devs without affecting other sub-teams. When the feature(refactoring) is
>finished, the branch would be rebased on master and merged there. Note:
>rebases can be done as needed - e.g. when other subteam finishes its work.
>
>Concerns:
>1. Upstream git repo would be full of such branches.
>- This can be mitigated by deleting the feature branches when their are
>released or merged(up to discussion)
Don't put them in the upstream git repo. Let people decide where they
want to have them -- all Fedora contributors have access to
fedorapeople.org git hosting and there is github one button click
('Clone') away from the github mirror.

It is not a problem to keep a separate git branch published this way.

May be I misunderstand you -- if you just want people to propose merge
requests on github with pre-defined names, then that's just fine.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy