[Freeipa-devel] [DESIGN] Text-based rules for CSR autogeneration using Jinja2

Ben Lipton blipton at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 02:19:08 UTC 2016

On 07/27/2016 02:42 PM, Ben Lipton wrote:
> On 07/21/2016 11:43 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
>> Besides this nit,
>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Automatic_Certificate_Request_Generation/Mapping_Rules#Planned_implementation
>> sounds reasonable. I like how it prevents bad data from template-injection.
>
> That's what I like about it, too. It does turn out to make things a
> little tricky when it comes to writing rules that won't render if the
> data they depend on is unavailable. (Because instead of rendering
> individual rules which we can drop if they're missing data, we build
> one big template that has to handle missing data correctly on its
> own.) I think it's probably still worth it, though. I added this to
> the "Alternatives considered" section of the above document.

By the way, I just wrote a followup blog post on this subject:
describing the challenges I've had with suppressing rules when the data
isn't available, and wondering if it's worth it. The post is here:
http://blog.benjaminlipton.com/2016/09/01/rule-suppression.html. It
might be a bit of a dense read, but I wanted to have the considerations
documented at least. As always, please let me know if there's anything I
can clarify. And if you do happen to read it and it makes you prefer one
solution over the others, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Ben