[Freeipa-devel] KDC proxy URI records

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 13:56:40 UTC 2017

On 04/27/2017 02:19 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
> On 2017-04-27 14:00, Martin Bašti wrote:
>> I would like to discuss consequences of adding kdc URI records:
>>
>> 1. basically all ipa clients enrolled using autodiscovery will use
>> kdcproxy instead of KDC on port 88, because URI takes precedence over
>> SRV in KRB5 client implementation. Are we ok with such a big change?
>
> Does the client also prefer KKDCP if you give the Kerberos 88/UDP and
> 88/TCP URIs a higher priority than the KKDCP HTTPS URIs?
>
>> 2. probably client installer must be updated because currently with
>> CA-full installation it is not working.
>>
>> ipa-client-install (with autodiscovery) failed on kinit, see KRB5_TRACE
>> bellow that it refuses self signed certificate
>
> Actually it is not a self-sigend EE certificate. The validation message
> is bogus because FreeIPA TLS configuration is slightly buggy. We send
> the trust anchor (root CA) although a server should not include its
> trust anchor in its ServerHello message. OpenSSL detects an untrusted
> root CA in the ServerHello peer chain and emits the message.
>
> If I read the 600 lines (!) function ipaclient.install.client._install
> correctly, then ipa-client-install first attempts to negotiate a TGT and
> then installs the trust anchor in the global trust store. It should be
> enough to reverse the order and inject the trust anchor first.
>
> Christian

By reading this, even if we do the change in client install, I'd rather
not generate the DNS records in 4.5.1 release and rather make sure that
everything works during 4.6 development.

The reason is that there might also be something else not working and it
is better to time test it + the fix would not fix older clients.

If anybody wants to use/try it, then the records can be created manually.
--
Petr Vobornik