[Freeipa-devel] [freeipa PR#403][comment] Add new ipa passwd-generate command

abbra freeipa-github-notification at redhat.com
Tue Feb 14 08:03:28 UTC 2017

Title: #403: Add new ipa passwd-generate command

abbra commented:
"""
Sorry for another delay too. We have discussed this proposal again and would like to have an ipa-advise implementation instead of IPA CLI command. There are multiple reasons for this:

* If an IPA CLI implementation would be done, from your last comment it looks like you would be interested in supplying a generated password to another IPA command call, like 'ipa passwd'. However, to get access to password policy object, one has to have administrative privileges, while it is supposed that 'ipa passwd' command is executed under user privileges. Thus, 'ipa foobar --generate | ipa passwd' is not possible as that would require two different auth identities run in the same session space.
* Implementation that only uses user's identity will see no password policy settings at all. Thus it would not be able to follow any specific password policy.
* Existing 'ipa user-add --random' and 'ipa host-add --random' which set user/host password to a random value apply to situations where the passwords are of one-time use and will get changed on the first use.
* Any administratively set password for IPA users will cause its change on the first authentication attempt. This is not going to change. Thus, setting a generated password as administrator is not going to honor the password that was just set. As result, a sequence of events "administrator calls IPA CLI to generate password and then sets this password to a user" is not going to work in practice to retain the generated password.
* For system accounts we want to have an overall proper management. When it is implemented, we can add there an option to generate passwords. Given that system accounts aren't handled by the IPA framework right now, the source of a policy compliant password can be anything, as additing the account is done externally (via ldapadd/ldapmodify) with administrative privileges.

Thus, we'd still prefer to use 'ipa-advise' plugin approach. A script that 'ipa-advise' would generate, can be run on any machine. If it couldn't be run on the target machine, it can always be run on an IPA client. An important part of this solution is that 'ipa-advise' plugins can be run with administrative privileges (ipa-advise is always run as root) and thus can read password policy settings for a specific user (or a specific password policy).

"""

See the full comment at https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/403#issuecomment-279634244