[Freeipa-devel] Certificate Identity Mapping

Jan Cholasta jcholast at redhat.com
Mon Jan 2 07:06:04 UTC 2017

On 19.12.2016 12:13, Sumit Bose wrote:
> [...]
>>>   well. For IPA server-side we should decide on an attribute name and
>>>   add it to the schema for user objects. On the client side the
>>>   attribute name can be taken from the mapping rule.A
>>>

>>> certmappingrule.*:
>>>
>>> * ISSUERDN: it looks like you want to use issuerName here. In
>>>   certificateRecord it it used with LDAP ordering and I would prefer
>>>   LDAP ordering at all points where we have a choice. Unfortunately in the
>>>   issuer-subject mapping AD dictates X.500 ordering.
>>
>> LDAP ordering should indeed be preferred, as it is used everywhere else in
>> IPA. We can convert to/from X.500 ordering where necessary, when possible.
>>

>>> * DOMAINDN: does this refer to the nsslapd-certmap-basedn attribute in
>>>   the example? My intention in the SSSD design-page was to specify the
>>>   domain (as in DNS domain/IPA domain/trusted domain) where the matching
>>>   user should be searched. Different domains might certificates from
>>>   different issuers and some domains might not even use certificates.
>>>   With this information SSSD does not have to search any domain trusted
>>>   by IPA from a given certificate, but look only at domains listed here
>>>   (the attribute should be a multi-value one).
>>>
>>>   There are objects in the LDAP tree for each trusted domain which are
>>>   used by SSSD so using a DN syntax would be valid here.
>>
>> We use domain names rather than DNs to refer to domains everywhere else in
>> the framework. I don't think this place should be an exception.
>
> I'm fine with domain names as well. In fact I didn't thought of using
> DNs for this before I read DOMAINDN on the design page.
>

>>> * LDAPSEARCHFILTER: I think a separate option is not need. LDAP search
>>>   filters should just be a special kind of mapping rules. I can image in
>>>   syntax like: <LDAPFILTER:(&(cn=%A)(email=%B)(authType=pkinit))>. I
>>>   think the difficult part with the LDAP filters will to define sensible
>>>   templates.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand. Could you please elaborate a little bit?
>
> A LDAP search filter which would cover the AD behavior would look like:
>
> (|(altSecurityIdentities=<I>%A<S>%B)(userPrincipalName=%C)(samAccountName=%D))
>
> where
>
> %A: must be replaced with the issuer of the certificate in X.500 order
> %B: must be replaced with the subject of the certificate in X.500 order
>
> it would be possible of course to use a specific template here which
> would generate the complete search attribute value.
>
> %C: must be replaced by the principal from AD's SAN
>     szOID_NT_PRINCIPAL_NAME
> %D: must be replaced with only then name component (the part before the
>     realm) of the principal from szOID_NT_PRINCIPAL_NAME
>
> As %C and %D imply this filter will only work for certificates which
> have szOID_NT_PRINCIPAL_NAME but for those it must be used to be
> compatible with AD. For certificates without
>
> (altSecurityIdentities=<I>%A<S>%B)
>
> is sufficient. It is possible to select the right filter with matching

Right.

> So we have to find suitable names for the %A, %B, %C and %D templates
> and also allow different representations (e.g. LDAP or X.500 order for
> DNs).

I would personally prefer if we used Python-style formatting strings for
the templates, I find them much more pleasant to work with than C-style
formatting strings. The filter which covers AD behavior could be written as:

(|(altSecurityIdentities=<I>{issuer_dn!x500}<S>{subject_dn!x500})(userPrincipalName={subject_nt_principal})(samAccountName={subject_nt_principal.name}))

>>>   But as long as we keep the general mapping rule syntax
>>>   flexible the LDAP filter rules can be added in a later version.
>>
>> IMHO it should be the other way round and LDAP filters should be implemented
>> first, as they offer all the flexibility we need (all of the other fields
>> can be easily implemented on top of LDAP filters) and are by default
>> extensible without having to update servers and clients.
>
> In general I agree, as long we can find a suitable scheme to handle the
> templates to add content from the certificate in a specific format to
> the search filters.
>
> But from the user/admin perspective there should be special rules for
> common use-cases which do not require to know too much details about
> certificates and LDAP trees. E.g. for AD (either via direct or indirect
> integration) there should be a <AD-LIKE> rule which just does all which
> AD would do depending on the certificate type. For IPA something like
> <ALT-SEC-ID-I-S> might be a good start for handling external
> certificates which do not contain user specific data which can be mapped
> to user object because the syntax is already known from AD.

This could be handled in the IPA plugin by converting from the
user-friendly representation to LDAP filter template internally when a
mapping rule is added or modified.

--
Jan Cholasta