[Freeipa-devel] CI: exporting test runner output

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 07:06:38 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Although it has been discussed before and met with some skepticism,
here is a POC that exporting test runner output to, e.g. a pastebin,
does work:

- experimental commit: https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/370
- example paste: https://paste.fedoraproject.org/520085/
  (it is gzipped for reasons discussed in the PR)

I think we should proceed with getting these artifacts out of Travis
and stored somewhere (it doesn't have to be
paste.fedoraproject.org).  ``tail -n 5000`` of the log file has
proven to be not enough to diagnose all failures.

If we stick with paste.fedoraproject.org, we can send to a
"project-specific" namespace e.g.
https://paste.fedoraproject.org/~freeipa, so that we do not clutter
up the main archive (I think).

A few questions for discussion:

1. Stick with fpaste or not?  If so, use "~freeipa" namespace?
   (Keep in mind that the size limitation that exists for fpaste,
   which requires compressing the artifact, may not be a problem
   elsewhere).

2. Export log always, or only if the build job failed?

3. Should pasted logs expire?  If so, what should TTL be?

4. Should we continue to `tail -n 5000` the log as we currently do,
   or just rely on exported log?

Thanks,
Fraser