[Freeipa-devel] CSR autogeneration next steps

Jan Cholasta jcholast at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 06:58:12 UTC 2017

On 19.12.2016 21:59, Ben Lipton wrote:

> On 12/15/2016 11:11 PM, Ben Lipton wrote:

>>> For PEM files, this is easily doable using python-cryptography (to
>>> extract SubjectPublicKeyInfo and sign CertificationRequestInfo) and
>>> PyASN1 (to create a CSR from the CertificationRequestInfo and the
>>> signature).
>>
>> I didn't realize that python-cryptography knew about
>> SubjectPublicKeyInfo structures, but indeed this seems to be pretty
>> straightforward:
>>
>> key = load_pem_private_key(key_bytes, None, default_backend())
>> pubkey_info = key.public_key().public_bytes(Encoding.DER,
>> PublicFormat.SubjectPublicKeyInfo)
>>
>> Thanks for letting me know this functionality already existed.
>>>
>>> For NSS databases, this will be trickier and will require calling C
>>> functions, as neither certutil nor python-nss provide a way to a)
>>> address existing keys in the database by key ID b) get
>>> SubjectPublicKeyInfo for a given key.

This can be worked around by:

1. Generating a key + temporary certificate:

     n=$(head -c 40 /dev/urandom | base32)
     certutil -S -n $n -s CN=$n -x -t ,,

2. Extracting the public key from the certificate:

     certutil -L -n $n -a >temp.crt
     (extract the public key using python-cryptography)

3. Deleting the temporary certificate:

     certutil -D -n $n

4. Importing the newly issued certificate:

     certutil -A -n $n -t ,, -a <new.crt

>>> As for encoding, the obvious choice is DER. It does not really matter
>>> there is no standard file format, as we won't be transferring these
>>> as files anyway.
>>
>> Agreed. I just meant there aren't tools already because this isn't a
>> type of file one often needs to process.

>>> Works for me.
>>
>> Updated the PR to fix conflicts with master. Had some trouble with CI
>> but creating a new PR with the same commits fixed it
>> (https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/337). Not sure if it's fixed
>> permanently, so I guess I'll just keep the two PRs synchronized now,
>> or we could close the old one.

You can close the old one.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, you want this PR to be merged
before submitting additional PRs built on top of it?

> [...]
>>
>> I originally had it doing so, but changed it to a required option
>> based on feedback in this email:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2016-August/msg00021.html:
>> "In general use I think that 'caIPAserviceCert' is unlikely to be used
>> a majory of the time, and it is a new command so there are no
>> compatibility issues; therefore why not make the profile option
>> mandatory?" I guess since we're talking about cert-request now, the
>> compatibility issues are back.
>>
>> https://github.com/LiptonB/freeipa/commits/local-cert-build has now
>> been updated to change the cert_request command rather than adding a
>> new command. It seems to work now (thanks for the advice on making the
>> argument optional), the only thing I'm having trouble with is the
>> default for the profile_id argument. Previously, the default was
>> applied by this code in cert_request.execute:
>>
>> profile_id = kw.get('profile_id', self.Backend.ra.DEFAULT_PROFILE)
>>
>> But now, in the client, I need the default to pass to
>> cert_get_requestdata if no profile is specified. I'm not sure I can
>> access backends from the client to get it the same way the server code
>> does. Should I just import ipapython/dogtag.py and use the
>> DEFAULT_PROFILE set in there? Is there a way I can give the option a
>> default that will be seen in both the server and the client?

>>> OK.

>>> Implementing XER codec on top of libtasn1 shouldn't be too hard; I
>>> have a WIP which I will post soon.
>
> It took me some experimentation to get this to work, but the solution
> with asn1c is actually quite simple because the tool automatically
> provides a sample C file that converts between different formats. So,
> this very basic shell script is able to do the conversion:
> https://github.com/LiptonB/freeipa-prototypes/blob/master/xer2der.sh
>
> $ cat ExtKeyUsage.xer
> <ExtKeyUsageSyntax>
>     <KeyPurposeId>1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.2</KeyPurposeId>
>     <KeyPurposeId>1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.4</KeyPurposeId>
> </ExtKeyUsageSyntax>
>
> $ cat KeyUsage.asn1
> KUModule DEFINITIONS ::=
> BEGIN
>
> KeyUsage ::= BIT STRING {
>      digitalSignature        (0),
>      nonRepudiation          (1),  -- recent editions of X.509 have
>                                 -- renamed this bit to contentCommitment
>      keyEncipherment         (2),
>      dataEncipherment        (3),
>      keyAgreement            (4),
>      keyCertSign             (5),
>      cRLSign                 (6),
>      encipherOnly            (7),
>      decipherOnly            (8) }
>
> ExtKeyUsageSyntax ::= SEQUENCE SIZE (1..MAX) OF KeyPurposeId
>
> KeyPurposeId ::= OBJECT IDENTIFIER
>
> END
>
> $ ./xer2der.sh KeyUsage.asn1 ExtKeyUsageSyntax ExtKeyUsage.xer
> 2>/dev/null | xxd
> 00000000: 3014 0608 2b06 0105 0507 0302 0608 2b06  0...+.........+.
> 00000010: 0105 0507 0304                           ......

So far I don't have a working example using libtasn1. I have something
close to it, but it's hacky, as the libtasn1 API is pretty limited, and
I didn't have time to work on it in the last few weeks.

--
Jan Cholasta