[Freeipa-users] Glaring hole in AIX telnet regarding HBAC rules

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 22:43:55 UTC 2013

On 07/09/2013 06:01 PM, KodaK wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com
> <mailto:dpal at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/09/2013 03:57 PM, KodaK wrote:
>>

>>     On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Rob Crittenden
>>     <rcritten at redhat.com <mailto:rcritten at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         HBAC is enforced by sssd, so no sssd, no HBAC.
>>
>>         I think you need to use pam_access to limit users in AIX.
>>

>>     I have some work-arounds now, but I'd like to find a way to
>>     automate them.  What
>>     I need is a way to ask IPA "who is allowed to access this
>>     particular server?"
>>
>>     The goal is go just get a list of allowed users, then there are
>>     various mechanisms
>>     I can employ to allow access to only the listed users.  I plan to
>>     do this from the
>>     puppet master so I can push the configs from there.  I have
>>     ipa-admintools and
>>     openldap-clients installed on the puppet master.
>>
>>     Right now I'm iterating through all the hbacrules and grepping
>>     for the server in
>>     question, then getting the details of that rule.  This is a lot
>>     of requests.
>

>     A valid RFE I would say...
>     May be it should be an enhancement for the hbac-test tool?
>     However getting a list of the users verbatim is probably costly too.
>     May be it would make sense for you to create a group of AIX users
>     in IPA and then fetch it from the puppet master traverse its
>     memberOf attribute for list of members?
>     It will not use HBAC but still would provide some access control
>     optimization.
>     Will that solve the problem for you?
>

> I thought about that, but there are some drawbacks.  I don't have "a"
> group of AIX users that access all AIX machines.  I have a bunch of
> different AIX machines with different user sets.  I can create a group
> for each host called hostname_access -- but then I'm just replicating
> (quite inefficently) information that already exists in the HBAC
> rules.  I can probably create one rule per host in HBAC and query that
> particular rule for the allowed users, but this loses the benefit of
> being able to use host and user groups.  This is probably where we'll
> end up, though, since it's the least-effort-to-implement (if worst to
> maintain) option.
>
> How does sssd determine if a user is allowed access?  Another option
> may be to replicate that functionality in a program or script on the
> puppet master and have it populate some files once a day or so.
>  Alternately we could write a PAM module for AIX that replicates that
> functionality.  Right now, though, I have no idea how it's done in
> SSSD (a pointer to where it is in the code would be helpful, even.)
> --
> The government is going to read our mail anyway, might as well make it
> tough for them.  GPG Public key ID:  B6A1A7C6

SSSD and IPA share the same library.
I do not remember the name of it but it takes input: user, host, service
and determines whether user is allowed or not.
It is written in C. So it probably can be ported to AIX.

Here is another option, I do not know if that would work for you.
It really depends on your setup.
You can allow SSH into AIX machines only from a corresponding gateway
machine.
Say you have 5 classes of AIX machines then you will have 5 gateway
machines.
The access to a set of AIX machines will be restricted to SSH from a
gateway system.
Logging to a gateway system would be protected with HBAC.

Not the best but yet an alternative approach.

If you go with the "implement yourself approach" on the puppet master
you should taker a look at the code of the library and see how it does
things. It might be a good start.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal