[Freeipa-users] Redhat IPA as a SSL CA

M.R Niranjan mrniranjan at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 05:26:27 UTC 2013

On 07/19/2013 06:57 AM, craig.freeipa at noboost.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Redhat IPA 2.2 as our internal CA quite successfully
> for a while and managing in it from the IPA management website.
>
> I'm struggling to find precise information about the SSL certs and
> management at a CLI level.
>
> 1) Can I submit SSL CSR via cli?
Yes, you could using ipa cert-request command

Example:

1. Add the host for which you are generating request.

# ipa host-add webserver1.example.org

2. Create a CSR (i.e private key and certificate request using openssl
command)

	A. Generate private key:

	[root at test1 certs]# openssl genrsa 1024 > server.key

	B. Generate CSR:

	[root at test1 certs]#  openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr

3. Submit the certificate request:

# ipa cert-request /etc/pki/tls/certs/server.csr

4. Get the signed Certificate out using ipa cert-show command

Example:
[root at test1 certs]# ipa cert-show 12 --out=/etc/pki/tls/certs/server.crt

> 2) Where are the approved client SSL certs kept in IPA?

They are stored in Directory Server in 2 places

1. Domain Suffix tree
dn:fqdn=webserver1.example.org,cn=computers,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=org

2. CA store in DS. Certificate system of IPA stores certificate in it's
ldap store (ou=certificateRepository,ou=ca,o=ipaca)