[Freeipa-users] rhel 5 client in a rhel 6 domain?

Armstrong, Kenneth Lawrence klarmstrong2 at liberty.edu
Mon Jul 22 16:32:05 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have a RHEL 6 IdM test domain set up.  In production, we have RHEL 5 and RHEL 4 clients as well, so I was going to test that out.

However, I can not get a RHEL 5.9 client to join the domain.

[root at r5-idmclient<mailto:root at r5-idmclient> ~]# ipa-client-install --server lnxrealmtest01.liberty.edu --domain lnxrealmtest.liberty.edu
root        : ERROR    LDAP Error: Connect error: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
Failed to verify that lnxrealmtest01.liberty.edu is an IPA Server.
This may mean that the remote server is not up or is not reachable
due to network or firewall settings.
Installation failed. Rolling back changes.
IPA client is not configured on this system.

Digging a little bit and I see that the ipa-client is an older version:

ipa-client-2.1.3-5.el5_9.2

Doing a yum update/upgrade doesn't show a newer version.

I was considering a manual installation, but the ipa-admintools don't appear to be available for RHEL 5.9?

Is there a way to make this work?

-Kenny