[Freeipa-users] gssapi sasl error - only picking up short hostname when running ipa-client-install (and failing)

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri Nov 29 13:28:39 UTC 2013

On 29.11.2013 14:20, Les Stott wrote:
> Martin,
>
> there is no entries in /etc/hosts for the freeipa servers on the client.
> the clients hosts own entry is there with fqdn first.
>
> Because you mentioned it, i added the hostname of both freeipa server to the hosts file on the client. It actually ran and setup the client. However it did get the following errors at the end after it did kerberos config....
>
> =======
> Configured /etc/krb5.conf for IPA realm MYDOMAIN.COM
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/sbin/ipa-client-install", line 2377, in <module>
>      sys.exit(main())
>    File "/usr/sbin/ipa-client-install", line 2363, in main
>      rval = install(options, env, fstore, statestore)
>    File "/usr/sbin/ipa-client-install", line 2135, in install
>      delete_persistent_client_session_data(host_principal)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipalib/rpc.py", line 124, in delete_persistent_client_session_data
>      kernel_keyring.del_key(keyname)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipapython/kernel_keyring.py", line 99, in del_key
>      real_key = get_real_key(key)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipapython/kernel_keyring.py", line 45, in get_real_key
>      (stdout, stderr, rc) = run(['keyctl', 'search', KEYRING, KEYTYPE, key], raiseonerr=False)
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipapython/ipautil.py", line 295, in run
>      close_fds=True, env=env, cwd=cwd)
>    File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 639, in __init__
>      errread, errwrite)
>    File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1220, in _execute_child
>      raise child_exception
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> =======
>
> Is that normal?
No, absolutely not. I will let people knowledgeable about kernel keyrings to
chime in.

> Do i need to add entries to the hosts file on every client?

Could you try this?
0) Restore your original /etc/hosts file (i.e. delete the line for IPA servers).
1) Run command "tcpdump -s 65535 -w /tmp/some_writeable_file -i any" on the
client.
2) Run ipa-client-install
3) Stop tcpdump and send us the /tmp/some_writeable_file file. You can do it
privately (for example to me or mkosek).

The network capture will not contain any password but it will reveal domain
names and IP addresses. Your problem is most probably related to name
resolution but I can't see where the problem is from your description, I hope
that the network trace will reveal it.

Note: If you have some local caching DNS resolver *on the client* (unbound,
BIND etc.), please flush it's caches before you start.

Petr^2 Spacek