[Freeipa-users] No $ORIGIN directive in bind-dyndb-ldap

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Oct 22 15:04:30 UTC 2013

Hello!

On 22.10.2013 16:26, Brendan Kearney wrote:
> list,
>
> i am trying to setup BIND to use the DynDB LDAP backend, and have found
> that the $ORIGIN directive is not used or documented for use with the
> backend.
>
> the use case is the for the $ORIGIN directive is to handle unqualified
> queries.  Below is an example of what happens without the $ORIGIN
> directive set in a zone:
>
> [brendan at test ~]$ nslookup server 127.0.0.1
> Server:      127.0.0.1
> Address:   127.0.0.1#53
>
> ** server can't find server: SERVFAIL
>
> [brendan at test ~]$ nslookup server.my-domain.com 127.0.0.1
> Server:      127.0.0.1
> Address:   127.0.0.1#53
>
> Name:   server.my-domain.com
> Address: 192.168.1.1

Could you please describe your configuration and what you are trying to achieve?

I would like to see example zone file for BIND9 and description of desired
outcome.

Maybe that I'm wrong, but AFAIK $ORIGIN is just shorthand for use *inside*
zone files. It has no effect outside zone parser:
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch8/origin.html

IMHO it does not affect query processing in any way.

> the below is the BIND Admin Reference Manual entry for the $ORIGIN
> directive.
>
> The $ORIGIN Directive
>
> Syntax: $ORIGIN domain-name [comment]
>
> $ORIGIN sets the domain name that will be appended to any unqualified
> records. When a zone is first read in there is an implicit $ORIGIN
> <zone_name>. (followed by trailing dot). The current $ORIGIN is appended
> to the domain specified in the $ORIGIN argument if it is not absolute.
>
> $ORIGIN example.com.
> WWW     CNAME   MAIN-SERVER
>
> is equivalent to
>
> WWW.EXAMPLE.COM. CNAME MAIN-SERVER.EXAMPLE.COM.
>
> would a Request For Enhancement be needed or should a bug be filed for this missing functionality?

Please let us clarify what you are trying to achieve, then we can open RFE.

Have a nice day!

--
Petr^2 Spacek