changing LDM to GDM

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Jun 15 14:42:01 UTC 2008

Andrew Osborne wrote:
> Is it possible to disable LDM and use GDM ? and if so does any one know
> a way? as this as been an issue with Debian based distros also and a way
> as been documented, I would expected this also to be and issue once
> K12Linux is available.

Edit /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf and change SCREEN_07 to
"xdmcp".  This changes what the client does during boot.

> my reasons
>
>     *
>
>       LDM does not let you select which server you connect to, critical
>       if your allocated server is dead

The above method will not allow this either if primary GDM server is the
same as the dead server.  How does this work for pre-LDM LTSP?

>     *
>
>       LDM does not currently report "incorrect password", it just
>       refreshes the screen with no error report

This is actually an LDM bug.

>     *
>
>       LDM does not follow the system themes, so your login screen does
>       not match your user's theme

I was planning on using this as an advantage by having a LDM-specific
login theme for K12Linux.

>     * LDM does not allow you to save a default (KDE, etc)

This should be configurable with /etc/sysconfig/desktop but it does seem
to be broken at the moment.  (Strangely, I can't even get it to work
with GDM either.  The option itself might have broke.)

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com