[K12OSN] Distributed Samba deployment opinions?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Mon Jun 21 18:12:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 10:42, Shawn Powers wrote:
> I do something like this here, using DNS to be my "tool of transparency"
> -- so a persons home directory might be mounted on  \\place1\homes --
> and if they are at place1, it resolves to a local address, but if they
> are at place2, it resolves the remote address.

This is a good idea, I will look into how I can use that if need be.

> Please note to all the security mongers, VPNs etc could be added --
> perhaps the T1s are private T1s though, and never touch the internet...

My T1's are private Point to Point. They are actually aggregated at the
center into a DS3, each building shaving off it's own t1 channel. This
was cheaper than having so many independant lines, even with all the
channels we are wasting.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-