[K12OSN] lessons learned on smb/ldap setup in centos4

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Aug 3 02:59:06 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tue Aug  2 2005 at 09:06 +0000 wrote:
>THE THINGS THAT GOT ME
>1. Firewall & SELinux , I shut them off. I'm not smart enough to get it
>to work through the firewall.

Don't bother....both are more hassle then it's worth....turn them off at
install and simply make sure your server is behind a firewall.

>2. CUT & PASTE. One would think I would learn by now...DO NOT CUT AND
>PASTE. Doing this can sometimes introduce hidden formatting charactors
>that will hose you. Thanks to Derek Dresser for pointing that out.

Actually this will work, but you need to make sure to check for a delete
extra lines at the end of the file...and also saving more than once helps
to cure extraneous line wrap issues.

>3. The TLS thing being in the ldap.conf file.

Yes....skip this for now...Iim half-heartedly working on getting this
working.  I have an ACL piece to integrated that will make it a bit more
secure, but it's a little while away

>4. Originally setting the file server up on a different network. I just
>couldn't seem to figure out how to combat that, soooo I reloaded on the
>network that it was going to be on and that cured many little issues.

DNS issues will kill ya'  (as the folks from Exeter learned when they
moved the servers I set up last summer) ;-)  Set it up where it will be
living....

>5. Paying attention to were the smbldap tools are located and adjusting
>the script and or tools location to make it work.

Yeah, but don't bother to write it down...the path of the executables has
changed at least 4 times since I began working on all this....almost as
frustrating as Samba....Samba changes constantly from one version to the
next....the move from Samba 2.x to Samba 3 made it necessary for me to
completely rewrite the how-to as they were two completely different
animals.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School