[K12OSN] K12Linux Legacy Pc's

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Wed Jul 6 16:18:40 UTC 2005

Legacy is PDO (Pretty Damn Old).  I have done K12LTSP with Pentium 100's.

Suggestions:

1)  If you can, get all of the clients to be the same make and model.
If that is not possible, try to get all of the NICs the same.
2)  Make sure your monitors can handle the expected resolution.  (We
fought this one for about 4 hours once before we found the problem.)
3)  A new NIC is cheaper than a new PC.
4)  PXE works very well.
5)  If you have to use a floppy boot disk, pull the floppy back into the
case.  Do not let students remove the floppy.  Also, have spare boot
floppies prepared and ready.

It works.

Patrick Sawyer wrote:

> Ive read the how to with regards to setting legacy pcs up as clients
> with k12linux.
> I was wondering if anyone has any tips that they would like to share.
>
> Also how old is legacy?

Jim Hays, Technology Coordinator
Monticello CUSD#25
#2 Sage Drive