[K12OSN] K12LTSP5 test

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Mar 30 14:39:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Trond Mæhlum wrote:

> I installed the testversion of K12LTSP5 today. I like what I see, our problems
> with K12LSTP4.4.x seem to have bee fixed. The most annoying thing here was the
> wait from icewm's starmenu loaded until nautilus showed the desktop. Now it's
> really fast. Our strange usbmouse+ps2 keyboard which I told the list about a
> couple of days ago, has also been fixed in K12LTSP5.
>
> I cannot get mplayerplug-in to play anything in Firefox, but that's something
> I expect to sort out.

I'll check into it. Note-to-self: 64bit FC5 probably needs the 32bit
version of mplayerplug-in if the 32bit browser is used.

> Now, Eric, you mentioned that this build did not include all the hot new
> features of LTSP4.2. One of the tings I look forward to is ltspfs and
> usb-sticks showing up on the desktop automatically, instead of using the
> samba-approach which we use today. Is this one of the features that is not yet
> implemented?

Until the last build, I was using a month-old CVS version of LTSP. Many
features were missing. The current build uses a couple-day-old CVS
version of LTSP, so it is much closer to what the final LTSP 4.2 will
include. Jim & crew are hoping have LTSP 4.2 feature-complete by tomorrow.

> If it is, or when it does, will it be as simple as adding 'HOTPLUG = Y' to
> lts.conf?

The parameter will be LOCAL_STORAGE=Y

It may take a little more than that for it to work, this is still being
hacked on. In a perfect world, just LOCAL_STORAGE=Y will be all that is
required.

> Also, will this testversion be yum upgrade'able to K12LTSP5 or will a new
> fresh install of the final version be necessary?

I'm ~99% sure that it will be yum upgrade'able. *All* of my desktops,
my work terminal, my home desktop, and my laptop are running the
K12LTSP5 test. I have a strong incentive to make sure a reinstall
is not required.

-Eric