[K12OSN] Teacher Tool

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Fri Mar 9 15:19:58 UTC 2007

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Kemp, Levi <lnkemp at bolivar.k12.mo.us> wrote:
>> Is there a way in teacher tool to monitor the screens of all the
>> students, even if it is a smaller size? If not does anyone know how I
>
> This seems to be a popular request but the only way I currently know
> how to do this is to simply set the -geometry option in the vncviewer
> call. I also could probably get the vnc windows to arrange themselves
> on screen not to overlap. But if the student desktop is 1024x768 and
> each view window (on the teacher screen) is 320x200 (or something)
> then you don't see the entire student desktop only a section (not
> useful). Does anyone know of a way to scale a vnc session to create a
> thumbnail?

There's a package on freshmeat called VNC Snapshot that is a commandline utility that
takes a jpeg snapshot of a VNC server (the client machine in our case).  Perhaps with
that you could scale the jpegs down to thumbnail size and create a 'board' with
snapshots of the clients.  It's not real-time, but I think that's probably better, as a
bunch of real-time thumpnails would tax the network.  VNC Snapshot is at
http://vncsnapshot.sourceforge.net/

Petre