[K12OSN] pcscd dead

johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be
Thu Jul 10 13:36:33 UTC 2014

Dear K12Linux colleagues,

when trying to get an id-card reader connected to a thinclient working, a ran in to a pcscd issue.

Logged in to the clients chroot:

bash-4.1# service pcscd start
Starting PC/SC smart card daemon (pcscd): [ OK ]
bash-4.1# service pcscd status
pcscd dead but subsys locked
bash-4.1# pcscd -H
00000000 pcscdaemon.c:371:main() Hotplug failed: pcscd is not running

I have the same software installed as on non-thinclient Centos machines:

bash-4.1# yum search pcsc
pcsc-lite-acr38u.i686 : ACS ACR 38 USB (acr38u non-CCID) Smartcard Reader driver for PCSC-lite
pcsc-lite.i686 : PC/SC Lite smart card framework and applications
pcsc-lite-devel.i686 : PC/SC Lite development files
pcsc-lite-doc.i686 : PC/SC Lite developer documentation
pcsc-lite-libs.i686 : PC/SC Lite libraries
pcsc-lite-openct.i686 : OpenCT PC/SC Lite driver

Name and summary matches only, use "search all" for everything.

Anybody ran in to this before? Googling this problem, I find no useful info.

Greetings, J.