NFS mount temporarily hangs during %post

Carl Pecinovsky csky at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 15 22:12:46 UTC 2004

Hi. I am new to the list and have a question about behavior I am seeing
during post-install of RHEL 3 U3.  In the kickstart %post section I have a
script that does several things including:

1. create mount-point dir
2. mount nfs dir
3. run script in the directory

The "mount" operation always hangs for a while, and then it completes and
things continue fine from there.  I put echo statements around the mount
and found it always hangs for 5 and a half minutes.  I traced the network
traffic and found the server is responding as expected to the mount and
several NFS requests before there is the 5.5 min delay until the next
request comes in.

Is there something about the chrooted environment that causes this? Can I
work around it?   After the install finishes and the system reboots, I can
run the same script with no hang problems. Thanks.

Carl Pecinovsky
"It is never safe to look into the future with eyes of fear." --E.H
Harriman