check-repository.py gives errors

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 15:52:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:

>thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it doesn't like file://

That's stoopid :(

$ /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/check-repository.py /mnt/redhat/rhel8
Directory was invalid:  [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/redhat/rhel8/RedHat/RPMS'

Understandable...

$ /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/check-repository.py /mnt/redhat/rhel3
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/check-repository.py", line 95, in ?
    CheckRepository(sys.argv[1])
[snip]
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/urllib2.py", line 230, in get_type
    raise ValueError, "unknown url type: %s" % self.__original
ValueError: unknown url type: /mnt/redhat/rhel3/RedHat/base/comps

It looks like the "file" scheme is being assumed in the first example,
as it fails to find the [missing] directory, but when given a valid path
in the second complains about lack of scheme.

>I also tried nfs:// as the repositry is shared at
>/export/opt/kickstart, but this gives no joy either.

Err, that's probably not going to work, as NFS mounts require special
(i.e. root) privs.

This horrible hack gets slightly further:

$ mkdir file:
$ ln -s /mnt file:
$ /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/check-repository.py file:///mnt/redhat/rhel3
Directory was invalid:  [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/redhat/rhel3/RedHat/base/comps'

A quick search finds quite a few similar queries about
check-repository.py and the format comps.xml introduced in RHL9; seems
it's suffering from bit-rot.

Cheers,
Phil