%post DHCP?

Chris Mckenzie Chris.McKenzie at entrust.com
Wed Nov 17 17:57:00 UTC 2004

Hi guys.

Thanks for answering my previous post, I removed the -nochroot from %post
and I was able to work some magic on the rest of the FS. My chvt 3 was in
the script I was trying to copy, I moved it to the kickstart itself.

Now, my apparent last problem is I can't get DHCP working from %post.

The kickstart install was from the same NFS server that I want to copy my
script from to the local system. The NFS install proceed fine, but %post
isn't able to mount a new NFS point.

I've tried...

%post
ifconfig
service portmap start
mkdir /mnt/entrust
mount 10.4.146.47:/var/entrust/eewmc/7.5/image /mnt/entrust
cp /mnt/entrust/init/runonce.bsh /tmp/runonce.bsh

...the TTY reports that eth0 doesn't have an IP address yet. It's the
regular ifconfig output, but with the IP/Mask line missing. Naturally the
mount isn't going to succeed if it can't reach the server, so that error is
also reported.

Are there any generally kickstart issues with using DHCP? I also tried the
following in my %post without luck.

%post
echo "check_link_down() {" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo "     return 1;"      >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo "}"                   >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0
ifconfig
service portmap start
mkdir /mnt/entrust
mount 10.4.146.47:/var/entrust/eewmc/7.5/image /mnt/entrust
cp /mnt/entrust/init/runonce.bsh /tmp/runonce.bsh

This time when ifup runs, I get...

Determining IP information for eth0... Failed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

- Chris