How to rebuild an Anaconda initrd/kernel with updated drivers?

michael at kmaclub.com michael at kmaclub.com
Wed Jan 2 22:44:49 UTC 2008

Tim Born wrote:
> Riggs, Ben wrote:
>
>> We have new motherboards with onboard NICs which aren't recognized by
>> the fedora 7 installer initrd/kernel. Naturally, not having a NIC
>> makes using network drivers impossible. Anyone have the skinny, or a
>> link?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>> --
>> Systems Staff
>> School of Mathematics
>> University of Minnesota

> Not tried it, so your milage may vary ...
>
> I think you want to find or setup a machine that has the same kernel as
> the one you are trying to install
> then use mkinitrd to create a custom initrd including your drivers:
>
> /sbin/mkinitrd --with=$yourdriver custom.img `uname -r`
>
> Once that's built, swap it in for the initrd on your kickstart or burn a
> custom ISO.

I used to do this in the RH7/RH8 days so things may have changed.

Best I recall I would add the kernel to my build machine that matches
what is on the boot media and boot from it.

Build the network modules for the new driver.

Mount the boot media
Extract the initrd
Add the new drivers to the extracted initrd
Update the pciids to include the new hardware ( if required )
Create a new initrd
Update boot media with the new initrd

Michael