swap sizing in a kickstart script

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at datacash.com
Fri Jan 11 15:50:42 UTC 2008

Hi
I don't completely understand it but you have to set your overcommit
ratio in the kernel to match you swap space

Percentage of physical memory size to include in overcommit
calculations.

Memory allocation limit = swapspace + physmem * (overcommit_ratio / 100)

swapspace = total size of all swap areas
physmem = size of physical memory in system

cat /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio

Unless I have the wrong end of the stick, then please correct me.

I understood overcommit ratio to be the amount of swap space expected as
a ratio of the amount of ram but after reading up on it again I don't
think I understand it anymore.

Apologies for complicating your answer.

Regards