[kontinuity-dev-public] The User Experience As It Stands

Andrew Lee Rubinger alr at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 05:25:27 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Ben Parees <bparees at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Andrew Lee Rubinger <alr at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> OK, so at this point I think we have enough integration work done and
>> user experience instructions set forth that I hope we're all starting to
>> look at this from the same perspective.
>>
>> Apologies to any non-RHTers; I'm not sure how to share this outside the
>> org at the moment:
>>

>> https://docs.google.com/a/redhat.com/document/d/1FtBt8XwZ237Mko6zEpkTOuFFhHfXM9THerjh702XA0c/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>> If everyone can center on that as the "thing to build out" and do dev
>> against, that'd be wonderful.
>>
>> Orange are areas we want to improve but don't necessarily block us, and
>> red is blocking us from saying "we're done here".
>>
>> Following those instructions, we get nicely down to observing the
>> OpenShift project overview page for the application Catapult has just
>> flung.  Looks a little like this at the moment:
>>
>>   https://imagebin.ca/v/2kniMSCFgVhS
>>
>> This is where I get a bit lost. :)
>>
>> We have 3 services:
>>
>> * Jenkins
>> * jenkins-jnlp
>> * kitchensink-html5-mobile (the example app in question)
>>
>> The example app then starts a build using s2i and *almost* completes:
>>
>>   https://gist.github.com/ALRubinger/fd81272e2f8eaf0e07b8f4b61c8dab42
>>

> ​that's indicative of a problem w/ your cluster.  i assume even if you
> created a basic s2i buildconfig and kicked it off (no jenkins/pipelines
> involved) you'd hit the same issue, so you'll need to dig into why your
> registry appears to be inaccessible in your cluster.

My Vagrantfile probably wasn't setting everything up correctly; Tomas'
doesn't present this particular issue so I've updated the user instructions
to switch to his.

So now this builds correctly:

  https://gist.github.com/ALRubinger/68756e225a582b8a023a272fa33cee7f

...but there are no deployments associated so we just kinda dead-end. :)

  https://ibin.co/2kpCwGp25C1b.png

> The Jenkins instance has 2 projects, "pipeline" and "pipeline-example",
>> and I'm unsure how they relate to the example app we want to build/deploy.
>>

> ​pipeline-example is built into the jenkins image, it's part of the basic
> config we include in the image.  we may get rid of it soon since it's
> causing confusion, but it was intended as an out of the box "here's a
> pipeline sample job":
>
> https://github.com/fabric8io/openshift-jenkins-s2i-config/tree/master/configuration/jobs/pipeline-example
>
> "pipeline" is, i assume, the name of your buildconfig that you're actually
> interested in, that gets created for you when we see the buildconfig in
> your openshift project.  (I don't know for sure, the one we provide in the
> tutorial is named "sample-pipeline", so i don't know where "pipeline" came
> from in your case, but one way or another, you created it and it's the one
> you care about)
>

>> I have a sneaking suspicion that I've been informed that many of you are
>> working on reconciling how this works together for your feature areas, but
>> I'm not yet grokking the whole picture. :)
>>
>> 1) What's the intended role of the Jenkins service here?  Shouldn't it be
>> handling the pipeline build?
>>

> ​the jenkins service provides access the the jenkins web console​ and apis.
>

>> 2) Why is the build being kicked off in the example service itself?  Is
>> that what we want?
>>

> ​not sure what you mean by a build being kicked off in the example
> service.​  The normal flow is:
> 1) create an openshift buildconfig w/ strategy type pipeline
> 2) a jenkins service+deployment gets created for you
> 3) a new jenkins job gets created in the jenkins server that corresponds
> to the buildconfig from (1)
> 4) use openshift to start a build of the buildconfig from (1)
> 5) that creates an openshift build object based on your buildconfig
> 6) the fabric sync plugin running in the jenkins server from (2) detects
> the new build object
> 7) the fabric sync plugin running in the jenkins server starts the jenkins
> job from (3)

Right, I think everything is happening correctly up to 6) or 7).  When I
say "kicked off in the example service" maybe my image link above will show
--- the build is not happening in Jenkins.  There is a "pipeline" job
configured that does not run:

  https://ibin.co/2kpEYnwXP7Nr.png

Manually triggering this job from the Jenkins UI results in indefinite
blocking on an available executor:

  https://gist.github.com/ALRubinger/545af1e15aae13d4a23a09373316570b

> 8) the jenkins pipeline job does whatever you defined it to do (which may
> or may not include launching slave pods on openshift)
> 9) the fabric sync plugin updates the openshift build object from (5) with
> the ongoing state of the pipeline execution (what stage it's in,
> success/failure, etc).
>

>> 3) Who's working on these pieces and are we all clear on what the
>> experience should be?
>>

> ​my team, jessica's team, the fabric team, your team.  I feel pretty clear
> about all the bits on the openshift/fabric/jenkins side.  I haven't worried
> about the Catapult layer since that's above those things as i understand it.

It's this integration I'd like everyone to jointly own and work on together
until the "script" in the User Instructions completes. :)

S,
ALR