[kontinuity-dev-public] S2I vs. docker build

Roland Huss rhuss at redhat.com
Tue May 3 12:56:43 UTC 2016

 > So the fabric8 maven plugin can invoke the s2i binary build process
> along with the rest of your maven build; making all the versioned
> artefacts, deploying them to your maven repository, tagging git and also
> making and tagging the docker image. So the release then becomes a
> regular maven build as java folks are used to doing.

To be technically correct, its not a "S2I Binary Build" but only a
"Docker Build Strategy" with a "Binary Build Source"  (in contrast to a
"S2I Build Strategy" with a "Git Repository Source") [1]. But otherwise
its correct. The main difference is that in the binary case Maven is
running locally on the Dev machine (and the result is pushed as tar to
OpenShift), whereas in the S2I case its running in a builder image
within OpenShift ...

Just early afternoon nit-picking ;-) ...

... roland

[1]: https://docs.openshift.org/latest/dev_guide/builds.html