[kpatch] missing removal of changed_objs

Martin Carroll martin.carroll at nokia-bell-labs.com
Fri Jul 22 13:24:30 UTC 2016

Hello,

There is what appears to me to be a glaring bug in the kbuild-patch
script. Immediately after the script builds the original kernel, the
following line should appear (but does not):

      >$TEMPDIR/changed_objs

Without that line, the script goes on to die with a bogus "invalid
ancestor" error. If you turn those bogus errors into warnings, then the
script goes on to incorrectly put into the generated .ko file every
single function that was compiled in the *original* kernel build,
thereby producing an immense .ko file with more than 64k sections that
the linux kernel cannot load.

Adding the above line fixes everything. Indeed, the description in
README.md of how kpatch-build works implies that the above line has to
be present in the kpatch-build script.

Fascinatingly enough, I have poked around through the git history and I
cannot find the above line present in any earlier commit state. (I also
cannot find a mention of this issue in the mail archives, although I
might have missed it.) So I am wondering, how in the world does this
script work for all of you?

Martin Carroll