[Libguestfs] FYI - virt-v2v 2.1 now requires libvirt-ocaml library

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon May 2 11:09:59 UTC 2022

On Mon, May 02, 2022 at 09:16:30AM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 04/29/22 13:02, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> >> Can you please add a "run.in" script to the libvirt-ocaml project root,
> >> so that virt-v2v can be built against a just-built libvirt-ocaml git
> >> worktree? Similar to "libnbd/run.in".
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt-ocaml/-/merge_requests/14
> >
> > Can't push to my own project any more :-(
>
> The project has been too successful for any single developer to keep
> push access! ;)
>
> Thank you for the patch; it's hairier that I thought it would be.
>
> Interestingly, I had to run "make opt" in libvirt-ocaml (not just
> "make") in order to get the CMXA files, which virt-v2v requires. Is that
> intentional?

It's a hangover from the very old build system (the project dates from
about 2007 and hasn't changed a lot in that time).  It was somewhat
common (in 2007) for there to be architectures that had only the
bytecode compiler, but they no longer exist; and the project doesn't
use automake so you cannot easily conditionalise parts of the
generated Makefile.

> "make" in the libvirt-ocaml project root means "make all" ("all" is the
> first target in Makefile.in), then "make -C libvirt all" means, per
> "libvirt/Makefile.in":
>
> ------
> all: $(BYTE_TARGETS)
>
> opt: $(OPT_TARGETS)
> ------
>
> I'd expect "all" to build "all" (both bytecode and native).

Yes, it's a bit of a mess.  Patches to update the build system welcome
of course ...

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW